Friday, September 17, 2010

Blog Post # 4

Don't Teach Your Kids This Stuff. Please? By Scott McLeod


I really enjoyed this particular blog post. I liked how he used sarcasm to get his point across. I am aware that the internet can be dangerous, but only if it is miss-used. To me, technology has tons more pros than it does cons. I am glad that Dr. McLeod is teaching his students about technology. His students will be way ahead of students that are not taught about it. Technology can help students grow, flourish and prosper. I will definitely use technology ALL the time when I become a teacher! I also did a little research to figure out who Scott McLeod is and came to find out that this guy is pretty brilliant. He is the co-creator of the "Did You Know?" video, which I thought was completely awesome. According to his longer bio on his blog,  http://dangerouslyirrelevant.org , he is "widely recognized as one of the nation's leading academic experts on K-12 school technology leadership issues." Dr. McLeod blogs regularly about technology. If you have not checked him out, then do so by following the link above!

The iSchool Initiative

This video was awesome. The high school student from Georgia definitely did a good job with this video. He began the video talking about how school budgets are being cut, teachers are being let go and classrooms are becoming larger. His solution: the iSchool. The iSchool is a device based on the iPhone. He said that with the iSchool we could get rid of paper, pencils, book, etc. The iSchool would serve the purpose of pretty much everything students use and would also cut the costs of school supplies down drastically. He also said that it would revolutionize the relationships between teacher and student, student and parent and parent and teacher. I was blown away with all the awesome things the iSchool could do, and to think that you can fit it in the palm of your hand! I think this brilliant idea would be great and truly benefit students, teachers, schools and the environment.

 Although I really like this idea, I do think that it would take a while before the iSchool was actually used. I think some schools would think that the students would abuse this and play games on it all the time. If students were to use this, I think that the iSchools should be monitored. As a future teacher, I would consider using the iSchool. I think it would benefit us beyond what we can imagine.

Lost Generation


This video almost gave me chill bumps. The beginning of the video was very depressing. I was definitely relieved when the video started to reverse. I do believe that our generation has changed drastically over the decades, but that does not mean we are doomed forever. We can do something about it. I believe that we can change the statistics of this world. I really, really, really liked this video! I liked how the words reversed. That was so cool.I am going to definitely share this with others. I found it very empowering!


Eric Whitacre's Virtual Choir


This video was interesting. I think it is amazing how he found all these people on YouTube and made a virtual choir over the internet. I have never seen anything like this before. I would like to see some of his other work sometime! I think it is amazing that none of these people actually sung together, and I was amazed to see how many people participated in the end credits. Very cool!

Picture of a happy computer


2 comments:

  1. Sydney,
    In reply to your iSchool post, I wanted to say that Dr, Strange actually told me that some places actually give their students the iTouch as a learning tool, which I thought was pretty cool. What I put in my post was how I thought the iSchool would take some of that teacher-student relationship away, and that relationship is key I feel to developing a student. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sydney,

    I am so glad that you will use technology all the time in your classroom. I think it gives the students something to look forward to in school, which doesn't happen very often.

    It is great to see how open you are to new ways of teaching and using technology in the classroom!

    Good post Sydney!

    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete