Sunday, October 3, 2010

Blog Assignment # 6

The Networked Student by Wendy Drexler

This video was very interesting. It really got me to understand the importance of a PLN (personal learning network). The 21st century student has no textbooks and spends more of the time online learning than in the classroom. This semester most of my classes are hybrid classes, which means that a lot of the work is done online and not in the classroom. I can relate with the 21st century student because of hybrid classes I am taking.

The video asked the question, "Why does the networked student even need a teacher?" I believe teachers are still important with the networked student. Teachers help guide students and answer questions. I do not think that teachers should be taken out of the whole equation. Even though networked students do a lot of their own learning, they also need a teacher to help them along the way.

When I first started this semester and found out about hybrid courses, I was not excited at all. I thought I was the type of person that could only learn in the classroom with a teacher always there. I never considered learning on my own without a teacher all the time. Now, I really enjoy learning on my own. Don't get me wrong, I am constantly e-mailing my professors and asking questions. I am still new with online learning, but I have amazed myself at how quickly I have adapted. It is definitely not as bad as I thought it would be. I actually like it!

picture of a networked student

A 7th Grader's Personal Learning Environment

This video is about a seventh grade girl talking about her PLE. This video really helped me understand a PLN . I think it is good that students are learning about this type of technology. Every day she checks the class blog to see what they are learning for that day. I like how students can do that. It is very helpful. I also feel like it makes students better learners as well. Her PLE is kind of like my PLN. I used some of the same things she did. This video helped me understand a PLN better and will help me while working on mine.

The Machine is Changing Us

I really enjoyed this video. I liked all the funny video clips he provided to viewers. I can relate to how he talks about students not being engaged in the classroom. I liked the different ways he talked about engaging students. He also talks about the word "whatever" and how much it has been used. He also talked about YouTube and how it is a very useful tool. To be honest, before this class, I never watched intellectual YouTube videos. I did not know (before this class) that YouTube could be such a great learning tool! Watching this video really made me want to try to engage my students at all times!

2 comments:

  1. None of us learn in a vacuum. We need to be a part of a community of learners. But a "teacher" is not the only one we need in our community of learners. And we must take responsibility for our own learning, as you have. You have already read this I am sure, but I will retell it. In the Spring 2010 semester I had a student tell me Dr. Strange, this class really bothers me. I just want you to teach me so I don't have to learn." I am glad that you don't see it that way.

    Check out this blog post by a senior in high school. Leave her a comment. I am giving this assignment to everyone as part of C4K this week so you can get a head start: The Other Side of Learning

    Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for commenting on my blog post. I value your opinion so much. I will check out the blog you referred me to and I will leave a comment!

    ReplyDelete